hidden injuries of class

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Jul 23 15:27:48 PDT 1999

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, ken wrote:

> The real substance of Zizek's account can be found in Tichlish
> Subjects - where he takes on everyone from Butler to
> Habermas. If Zizek isn't contributing anything new - then why
> is it possible for him to demolish everything from analytic
> philosophy and communicative action to pragmatism and
> postmodernism with a frankly immanent critique?
>
> I'm just guessing here... but isn't this fairly new?

In terms of media structures, sure, but the concepts are right out of the Frankfurt School lineage. I wish the Z-man would buckle down and write a good longish essay on Adorno; he has a superb sense of dialectical style, very much like a European Fredric Jameson, i.e. the ability to ferret out what the reigning market pluralisms censor, silence and displace more effectively than any Government censorship program ever could.

-- Dennis