Profits and the Information Economy

Martin Schiller mart555 at inow.com
Sat Jul 24 13:50:35 PDT 1999

In a message of 7/24/99 11:48 AM from Michael Perelman, <mailto:michael at ecst.csuchico.edu>

>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>> But in regards to Linux, don't buy the hype of voluntarism around it.
>> Linux derives from massive government planning and investment over thirty
>> years.
>
>Nathan, aren't you ignoring the work of Richard Stallman and his group?
>--
>Michael Perelman
>Economics Department
>California State University
>Chico, CA 95929

Anecdotally, I had a recent experience with the nephew of my sister-in law, whose family in rural Wisconsin was upset that he was leaving the farm to go to Boston and work with GNU. He left with much the same spirit that I remember surrounded young people leaving for the peace corps. This seems part of the economics of information - as well as part of the value.

Martin, in Cupertino