The New Constellation and the French Revolution

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Jul 26 13:18:43 PDT 1999

Notice the personification of history ("jealous"). Worthless, but typical of what passes for profound in today's universities. -gn.

Carrol Cox wrote:

> I would appreciate someone (perhaps ken himself) translating the
> following -- not one phrase of which is intelligible to me.
>
> Carrol
>
> ken wrote:
>
> > This is a moment of abstract negativity, the
> > epistemological mistake of treating regulative ideas as
> > constitutive - in other words, there is a disavowal here, a
> > repression - which is manifest by the reduction of the subject
> > to the process of subjectivization... a reduction that can only
> > end in terror. Against Bernstein's Hegelianism, the subject is
> > not substance! In Kantian terms: Bernstein's sublime
> > reconciliation and rupture turns into the monsterous, as a
> > jealous history takes its vengeance on future uncertainty right
> > here in the present. Otherwise known as the French
> > Revolution.
> >
> > ken

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298