Profits and the Information Economy (Re: De Long on network economy

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Mon Jul 26 14:20:48 PDT 1999

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Nathan Newman wrote:
> But in regards to Linux, don't buy the hype of voluntarism around it.
> Linux derives from massive government planning and investment over thirty
> years. The first UNIX software came out of federally-subsized Bell Labs,

However, Linux contains no UNIX code and never has. For that matter, the BSD (Berkeley Systems Design) codebase hasn't contained any for fifteen years; when Bell Labs started to sell unix, they did a white-room rewrite.

> the most recent desktop innovation for Linus, a front-end Windows-like
> interface called GNOME, was created with large funding by the Mexican
> government at the University of Mexico City.

So far as I know, Miguel de Icaza (the GNOME coordinator) is a systems administrator there, but he doesn't do GNOME (in fact, I don't know anyone who does, other than a small group at RedHat - located in Research Triangle Park, NC) as his day job.

> http://netaction.org/opensrc/future/

Read it. Winced.

marco