Cybersweatshops and Unions

carvin rothman conservalib at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 19:52:04 PDT 1999

I work in a cybershop where I make $10/hr for 40 hrs per week and I have no health benefits although I am a permanent employee. My employers showed me their balance sheets and noted that they themselves are deferring their salaries during the company's post-startup phase, and that the company has negative cash-flow.

This $10/hr, although sub-market for my skills, is more than I have ever made before. Also, there is a very informal work atmosphere - no punching clocks, etc.

If this company were to provide market-level or decent pay and benefits, it could not afford to exist, some would suggest.

In addition, the Ny Times article touches on the subject, but not very explicity: how does a union form that is not based confinement of space.

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/07/biztech/articles/26labo.html

> [...]
> are temps.
>
> "The conditions are not the same as where unions
> have had a lot of success,"
> said Jonathan Rosenblum, organizing director for the
> King County Labor
> Council in Seattle, "but that doesn't mean there
> aren't a lot of substantive
> issues that concern high-tech workers and make them
> feel they want to have a
> voice in their job."
>
> Just as high technology has had vast ripple effects
> on the way Americans
> live, it is forcing changes in the American labor
> movement. Labor's
> traditional focus has been getting a majority of
> employees at a work site --
> usually full-time workers tied for years to a single
> employer -- to vote for
> a union then negotiating a contract for them.
>
> But unions are finding that this model may be as
> obsolete in high-tech
> America as a 286 Intel chip, because workers jump
> among companies like
> honeybees from flower to flower.
>
> Some labor organizers acknowledge that they may
> never get a majority of
> workers at start-ups or at giants like Intel to vote
> in a union. So they are
> trying to devise new ways to represent
> high-technology workers.
>
> An innovative example came in February when, seeking
> to improve benefits for
> high-tech temps, the AFL-CIO office in Silicon
> Valley set up an employment
> agency offering far better benefits than other
> agencies.
>
> "The way we go to work has changed," said Amy Dean,
> director of the
> AFL-CIO's Silicon Valley office. "So we, the labor
> movement, have to create
> a response that recognizes that the world has
> changed, while still embracing
> the values, like equity and giving workers a voice,
> that labor has always
> stood for."
>

> The Haves: Big Salaries and Benefits
>
> or Shea, the 24-year-old software engineer, unions
> are not so much
> undesirable as irrelevant.
>
> At Go2Net, he has no out-of-pocket costs for his
> health or dental plan. He
> is happy with his flexible hours and two weeks of
> vacation a year. And he
> loves working at a start-up where he has a strong
> sense of making a
> contribution.
>
> "My goal has always been to develop software that
> lots of people use," he
> said. "Here you can see 10,000 people using your
> software every day."
>
> Nor do his 70-hour weeks make him resent management.
>
> "As far as what gets me up in the morning or what
> makes me stay up so late,
> that's a pride issue," said Shea, who received a
> bachelor's degree in
> computer science from the University of California
> at San Diego. "Last
> night, I was up till 4 a.m. testing a new home

=== message truncated ===