Nathan Newman on IP

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 27 08:27:55 PDT 1999

[This bounced because the original was too long. Here's the URL and the intro. Nathan, you stuck a "Berkeley" in your email address in the Contact line, which I deleted.]

From: "Nathan Newman" <nathan.newman at yale.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Subject: New Book on Web: NET LOSS: GOVERNMENT, TECHNOLOGY AND THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF COMMUNITY IN AGE OF INTERNET Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 09:25:02 -0400

I've finally gotten around to an initial revision of my dissertation work on the Internet economy and have it up on the Web. This is the general summary of the argument I am circulating, which has relevance to the whole open source and government policy disscussion. (If folks can forward it to relevant lists, I would be appreciative.)

Nathan ================================================

NEW BOOK ON THE SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC IMPLICATIONS OF THE INTERNET,

PUBLISHED ON THE NET AT:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~newman/

NET LOSS:

GOVERNMENT, TECHNOLOGY AND THE

POLITICAL ECONOMY OF COMMUNITY IN THE AGE OF THE INTERNET

By Nathan Newman, Ph.D.

Contact at: nathan.newman at yale.edu

Where does technology like the Internet come from? Why is it so identified with specific regions like Silicon Valley? Why does new technology seem so associated in the public mind with both personal empowerment for some people and economic insecurity and growing powerlessness for others? And what is the best government policy for promoting technology and equal access in the new economy?

What confuses all these questions is the dynamic interaction between government, technology and the regions that are shaped and in turn reshape both technology and economic policy alliances. And nowhere has this dynamic been more confusing than in the case of the Internet, a technology directly planned and funded for decades by national government in Washington, DC, yet associated most in the public mind with garage startups in Silicon Valley. Even as technology companies have digested billions of dollars in technology subsidies from the government, we hear new words like "cyberlibertarianism" coined by Internet enthusiasts.

This book, NET LOSS: GOVERNMENT, TECHNOLOGY AND THE POLITICAL ECONOMY OF COMMUNITY IN THE AGE OF INTERNET helps make sense of this historical and ideological jumble. It highlights the process by which government guided the creation of the Internet and the regions most associated with the technology, even as the forces unleashed by the Internet have in turn reshaped and constricted government technology policy to the detriment of the broader public.