women, immigrants, and labor quality

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Tue Jul 27 09:35:25 PDT 1999

The circular reasoning of neoclassical economics is remarkable. If, for example, we see that education and income are positively correlated, then given the apriori logical deduction that the wage rate equals the marginal product of labor (said deduction deriving from the assumption of short-run firm profit maximization), it must be the case that more educated workers are more productive, hence their higher wage rate. Talk about a perversion of the scientific method! It's amusing to watch neoclassicals squirm when empirically minded econometricians show that the predictions of neoclassical labor economics don't hold up to well to the facts.

michael yates