The New geographies of the French food Revolutions

michael corbin mcx at bellatlantic.net
Tue Jul 27 21:55:26 PDT 1999

"Max B. Sawicky" wrote:

> We got this thing called a metropolitan region.

Spoken like a gerrymandering subject who likes the exurban, and again, the minimal consistency. Nothing like home rule, or whether you drive a car or take bus or like, what your representative in the national legislature would be. Or like what kind acreage you live on and what your neighbors are like. 'metro region' is contested crap. not about humanity.

> These
> things are defined in the sense of being named by their
> center, in this case "D.C."

Scare quotes don't make certain kinds of geography, mon cher, intellectualizing notwithstanding. I understand your desires.

> If I said I was in the
> "Maryland region," that wouldn't be very informative.

And of course obfuscating. Statehood allows its business. Glendenning does his clintonism and his lieutenant governor is said to take care of the Kennedy clan now and may even be Gore's veep.

> I could be in the lower Chesapeake Bay, on
> the District border in Bladensburg,

Different universes and perhaps representative of your claim of distinguishing 'very informative'. Depends on how low on the bay you are and whether you do a time share on some beach front or whether you do some old school tobacco country where white folks still don't go, where Frederick Douglas called home and so called 'eastern shore' is where most folks drive through. when was the last time you went to sandy point?

Bladensburg has a noble history where troops marched up to burn the capital; first tier old school surburb now. so again it depends and, 'very informative' is not even close. what side of rt 450, annapolis road are we talking? Where on the anacostia river?

> in Charm City
> (Baltimore), etc.

'baltimore'? do mean inner harbor mau-mauing? charming.

> "DC" is the area. "The District"
> is the city proper, though we also call it "downtown"
> or, when in the company of friends rather than internet
> mailing lists, "Chocolate City."

Not.

DC is not an 'area'. naming a city has little to do with neighborhoods. lets talk southeast. do you live in southeast? have you ever been to southeast and still claim a identity of 'being' in DC?

tell me more about how you identify with chocolate.

> It's different from, say, New York. If you lived in
> Hoboken, you wouldn't say you lived in New York City,
> even though you were cheek-by-jowl with it and might
> go there every day.

Spoken like someone who takes a very theoretical view. that kind of theory that gives politics its impotence. and lives 'nowhere' like most americans

> Neighborhoods matter. Kind of like solidarity and which side are you on and
> whether you have to reach out and touch someone so as to be down with
> consistent
> revolutions.
> >>

> Touching, but backwards. Neighborhoods bespeak segregation.
> The region is the collective.

what collective is that? the inter modal highway? the corporate-administrative bodies? residential segregation is not the same as neighborhoods. if you lived in one you'd know.

> South of the park and north of, lets say 16th street, you do get a lot of
> folks
> coming up to bethesda to do culinary arts for minimum wage.
> >>

> 16th St & "the park" run north-south, so "north of"
> makes no sense in those contexts. You mean east of
> the park. East of 16th would be wrong, since
> lots of people west of 16th do those minimum
> wage jobs.

yeah, most folks who claim their bona fides by living 'west' of the park often don't go in the park much less through it. rock creek is a dog leg. east and south. south is where the carpet baggers don't come.

> but they speak different languages.
>
> right on indeed. so lets send our daughters.
> >>

> Oh please.

There is always downtown, and Anthony's revitalization. So girlfriend daughter is safe, don't worry. oh please, please. good restaurants to get a job at.

mc