Giddens distances from New Labour

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jul 30 09:08:14 PDT 1999

Chris Burford wrote:

> Any good soundbites from the interview
>Doug?

Unfortunately, I forgot to bring a tape to the studio, so the show was lost to the ozone. Benn argued that the reason he's leaving parliament (after 52 years) when his term expires in 2002 is that he thinks more can be done organizing and agitating outside government, which is now a wholly owned subsidiary of big money. When people say that, I always wonder when it wasn't, but I didn't want to give the guy a hard time. I asked him if he agreed with (Sir) Alan Walters that Thatcher's most lasting achievement was the transformation of the Labour Party, and he did thoroughly. On the EU, he said he was an internationalist, but couldn't support ceding power to unelected central bankers and commissioners.

Doug