Three pre-occupation theses on Kosovo- evaulating the results

Anderson Bob band at unm.edu
Fri Jul 30 09:44:14 PDT 1999

> 1) PREDICTION ONE: An Air War cannot be won and terror bombing will just
> harden Serbian resistance: Well, whatever one thinks about the morality of

My thoughts:

The collapse of Russian support, or inability to break the constraints of the IMF probably did more to create the air war victory than any military factor.

On the other hand, the US use of space based war assets, satellites for recon and target guidance was indeed a paradigm shift in warfare and battlefield control. Still, had NATO had to use ground troops the casualties would have invoked a civilian resistance that would ahve been politically unacceptable in a pre-election year.

> 2) PREDICTION TWO: NATO bombing would decimate Milosevic's opposition and
> harden support for his regime: Well, the recent mass demonstrations against

It also seems the CIA type internal disrutption, COINTEL in the US, has a large hand in this too. What is the real internal role of Germany, GB, and other NATO spies in this domestic affair is one we will not know about for along time. But I would be pissed too at SM for not defending the country better.

> 3) MORAL STATEMENT ONE: Intervention could only be justified based on
> International law: The point Charles and I were arguing when I left, the

There is no international law outside the needs of the empire of the moment. The influence of the US economic and military plan have no opposition at this moment in history, only a slow process of implementation.

bob