Three pre-occupation theses on Kosovo- evaulating the results

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Fri Jul 30 10:12:28 PDT 1999

I still don't understand the idea that NATO "won the war with air power." When the war started, NATO's objective was to get Milosevic to sign the Rambouillet document. When "air power" failed to achieve this outcome after about three weeks, NATO started to cut a deal.

In the end, according to most of the reporting on the secret negotiations, Milosevic decided to sign the Ahtissari-Chernomyrdin plan because it left out most of the objectionable features of the Rambouillet plan. These included: 1) The referendum on Kosovo's independence; 2) The notorious "Appendix B" of Rambouillet's implementation portion; and 3) The lack of U.N. authority.