The New geographies of the French food Revolutions

michael corbin mcx at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 30 18:03:21 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> "Max B. Sawicky" wrote:
>

> Your argument is not with me, but with the voices
> in your head. Good luck.

Yes, well, I see.

My apologies, it wasn't you really, just my virulent response to a certain kind of smugness. Interesting how smugness works as a rhetorical buttress in these ideologically confused times. The rhetorical smugness (proliferating in the genre of the listserv) is infact the inverse of the ubiquitous cynicism. It allows the ersatz oppositionalist to feign solidarity among anonymous partners, like the wink and elbow to one's blokes at the pub. A inverted cynicism that is measured perhaps by the conflation of Bethesda and 'DC'. Be that as it may, I wish you luck too with your limitations, and finding out where it is that you live. But lets leave that aside.

I see that Brookings has taken up social geography of the area know as "D.C." Rock Creek Park and 16th street figure prominently:

http://www.brook.edu/es/urban/nif99.htm http://www.brook.edu/ES/Urban/regiondividedexsum.pdf

DC, I think, is an interesting study of what David Harvey, in _The Urbanization of Capital_ and else calls the spatial production of ideology. How is that that we live in these particular spaces and come be certain things?

I had the pleasure of going to talk to Breena Clarke last week. To congratulate her and help her celebrate her first novel _River, Cross My Heart_. It is a historical novel about 1925 Georgetown. 1925 black Georgetown. Breena's family was there and her aging uncle told me how he always resented how no one ever knew n-words was living Foggy Bottom from the beginning.

yours,

michael