Fw: where will it go?

michael corbin mcx at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 30 18:50:05 PDT 1999

rc-am wrote:

> Nathan wrote:
>
> > 2) PREDICTION TWO: NATO bombing would decimate Milosevic's opposition and
> > harden support for his regime: Well, the recent mass demonstrations
> against
> > Milosevic show that prediction to be false
>
> the demonstrations are nowhere, perhaps nowhere as yet, anything near mass,
> ie., compared to the mass demonstrations prior to the war. they look
> pretty much like a gathering of liberals* and priests who's only real power
> is that 'western cameras' are constantly turned on them waiting for a certain
> narrative to be confirmed. whether it will or not is anyone's guess. what
> is clear though is that the leftist opposition to the belgrade govt has
> collapsed or has been overtaken by a coaltion of liberals and wanting to
> prove
> their european credentials and priests who claim milosevic lost their Thing
> because he was a godless communist. discontent there certainly is; but
> where will it go?

this seems to me an important question to explore. much is claimed for serb 'opposition' in various notions of what is, or what should have been done. how are we to claim the serbian demos in the face of its ideological confusions that we distance ourselves from when they are a bit too bloody for our tastes. or we claim when they seem to provide the simulacra of our humanist hopes for 'the people' in the face of both fascism and capitalism. are the demonstrations 'mass'? are they of the right level of political consciousness? how does discontent make itself manifest in a politics for human beings?

where will it go?

mc