on the map & sennett

michael corbin mcx at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 30 18:31:35 PDT 1999

rc-am wrote:

> but, what would a local (US)
> vocabulary consist of?

Good question. I don't know really. And I mean less some American exceptionalism in a linear history of western/imperial nationalist gestures. Daniel Lazare has an interesting response to Michael Lind in the latest issue of New Left Review attempting to mark out what 'america' might mean. Now.

No doubt there is 'america' as hegemon, but what also is 'america' as cultural cynosure. and perhaps therefore an american vocabulary is inter alia a global vocabulary (alongside post-colonial authenticities). maybe something about how subjectivity (being human as such) is now sublimated into various statues of liberty and consumer utopias.?

> is Sennett's _fall_ located in the early part of
> capitalism, when the very notion of public space emerged, the printing press,
> etc? perhaps listservs promised a kind of rediscovery of this space
> untainted by the mediations of the (mass) media?

yes. sennett searches for a more pure modernism. looking from roughly the roman republic to the present with an emphasis upon the 19th century. but its not all for naught insofar as we too search, as you suggest, for various untainted communication possibilities. Tocqueville is important for Sennett here.

> > Also, if you could provide any information of Maori struggles

Thanks for the info. Yes I was interested in the patriarchal appropriations of the indigenous. But I was also merely asking because I have little access to critical information about something I use to follow more closely and used information on a couple of other lists. i

> I take it you've seen the
> film Once Were Warriors, or are about to see its sequel?

yes. what do you know about the sequel?

yours,

michael