The New Constellation and the French Revolution

Sat Jul 31 15:41:37 PDT 1999

Ken, I can't argue with you about what has been said in classroom discussion about the acceptability of sati (the most common defensive response I have come across is to compare it to European witchcraft burnings, but if you insist students urge tolerance on the grounds of religious pluralism, what can I say?). I must ask you however to at least give me the authors for the essays in which sati is unchallenged because it is just another religious institution. The most widely cited work on sati in the American academy is by the feminist and apparently thoroughly secular Lata Mani, and this is certainly not what she is saying. Mani (upon whom Spivak and others drew) included a careful critique of the way patriarchy used religious texts to justify its atrocities. Before her terrible car accident from which she is slowly recovering, I heard Mani give a brilliant critique of the use of scriptural authority in the destruction of the Babri Masjid. So I must ask you whom are you citing as evidence of tolerance for the religious justification of sati? Do you frequent Bal Thackery's Shiv Sena web site now that he has been officially shut up by Mumbai authorities?

RNB