la frontera and Re: Life under Empire by Michael Hardt

kelley d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 2 11:39:40 PDT 1999

>rc-am wrote:
>> but I wouldn't particularly pattern it as core and periphery, nor
>>would I argue there is an inability to push deterritorialisation further
[1].
>>there are ways of territorialising a low-wage 'periphery' at the heart of
the
>>cosmopolitan 'core', and I think Doug has mentioned sweatshops in NY before.

i could care less about the semantics here, but i don't see why you can't call core/ periphery precisely because it has *always* been the case that, within the core there must be discplining periphery. cultural/psychic logic of capitalism: fear of falling. they are responsible for their fate and we are responsible for our succes. you get my drift i'm sure.

kelley