Constitution and the Founding Fathers. Was: Re: gun control

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Jun 2 13:54:28 PDT 1999

> Actually, there was an earlier case in the history of the incorporation
> doctrine, *Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad Co. V. Chicago*
> (1897), which construed a limit on the poower to take private property
> for public use without just compensation. Thus, it was in the interests
> of capital that the incorporation doctrine was first expressed.
> Paul Rosenberg

I've seen above case construed as such, but didn't justice John Harlan (guy right-wingers now love to cite for his 'color-blind' lone dissent in Plessy) base court's decision in above case on #14?...I don't recall him mentioning #5 due process or #5 just compensation, rather he referred to Illinois state constitution...how did above decision differ from other industrial revolution era cases in which Supreme Court developed substantive due process under #14 to invalidate state economic regulations?

in *Gitlow*, the court expressed that #1 speech and press are among basic rights and liberties protected from impairment by states - even as it upheld Benjamin Gitlow's conviction for violating New York's 'criminal anarchy' law - because word *liberty* in #14's due process clause includes liberty of speech... Michael Hoover