Life in prison for stealing food

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Jun 3 07:20:49 PDT 1999

What's strange about the California 3 Strikes law is how it all came about. It started as a backlash against the guy who killed Polly Klass, but turned into almost a comedy of errors and hijacked intentions. The other night I saw a documentary about the whole process, and I'm just as confused as ever about it. I think the urge to make sure that 3rd-time violent offenders go to jail and stay there is straightforward enough; but the details surrounding which crimes count as strikes and the meddling in the discretion of judges is troubling.

/jordan