FW: Wao

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 3 09:54:36 PDT 1999

Max Sawicky wrote:

> I was very pleased to see Mr. Henry C.K. Liu's latest
> pissing and moaning, since it proves definitively
> that he is incapable of or uninterested in
> distinguishing between racial slurs and comments
> directed at his own statements or statements of
> those he idolizes. This waving the bloody shirt
> of racism is an injustice to genuine claims and
> an obstacle to serious discussion. It bespeaks
> ignorance and reeks of self-righteousness.

What genuine claims? You lampooned a style of writing because it did not sound like persuasive English just because it was literally translated from Chinese, a very formal language your ignorance of which did not prevent you from concluding the content to be intellectually inferior. That is language racism. You are the worst kind of racist, one who does not know he is one while going around pretending to be a progressive person. And you crude attempt to put a distance between CB and me is a classic racist tactic. You tried to exploit CB's born immersion in American culture to make me, a foreigner, look ridiculous and unreasonable. You forget that CB is not an uncle tom. He is from a Black American culture that has little in common with your white bourgeois oblivious insensitivity and that you never even bother to acknowledge its existence.

> Reminds me of the old National Lampoon cover,
>
> I would not be disinterested in moral preachments
> from those I would regard as exceptional moral
> examples to the rest of us, but Mr. Liu doesn't
> qualify. He's too busy trying to buttress his
> own dubious assertions by reference to the
> suffering of others, his own people in particular.
> He complains bitterly of someone making fun of his
> name, then turns around and does the same thing.

An eye for an eye. I would not have done the Declaration of Independence piece were it not for your sophomoric first strike. Besides, I was just trying to figure out what the "R" in Jim Devine's message stand for. I was trying to understand the joke by JD, not make a joke.

> The only racism in the posts is the inference from
> others that Mao's babbling is some kind of landmark
> in Chinese literature, or in any way exemplary of
> Chinese intellectual faculties.

First of all, that "Babbling" was Lin Biao's and not Mao's. Secondly, of course the above is not a racist sentence. That said it all.

Note the "in which I take an admittedly perverse pleasure" self-admitting racism.

Henry C.K. Liu