Life in prison for stealing food

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jun 3 11:39:31 PDT 1999

By this logic there ought to be many more imprisoned in Europe, where labor markets are slack and unemployment higher, and less here, where they are tight. Is this not the opposite of the facts, and thus, wouldn't that suggest other factors loom much larger?

Anybody have stats on the extent of prison labor and associated profits in the U.S.? There is a long tradition of special deal between politicians and business persons to exploit prison labor, but in any global sense the benefits of the prison work would seem grossly outweighed by the costs.

mbs