Life in prison for stealing food

Peter J. Schledorn pjs at harpo.admin.unc.edu
Fri Jun 4 08:14:07 PDT 1999

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Are you sure? I thought that European property crime rates were
> comparable to the U.S. - it was only in murder that the U.S. is an
> outlier (though less so recently than 5 or 10 years ago).

I looked into this briefly a while ago. As I recall, European property crime rates are higher than in the US if you count police reports, but they're lower in victim surveys. How much of a difference there is I don't know. In a UN survey on crime, assault and other violent crimes were high in the US (and Canada, as well as other nations)--no European country made the top rank there. Again, whether the difference is as pronounced as it is with homicide I don't know.

The UN does a survey on crime every few years, so there may be some data available from that.

Best, Peter