Postmodern Marx

curtiss_leung at ibi.com curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Thu Jun 3 22:51:13 PDT 1999

Somebody wrote:

> > I think the dark satanic mills riff was appropriated from Robert

> > Browning. ....

> Grrr.

As in "There go, my heart's abhorence"?

"Dark satanic mills" was Blake...I don't have a clue as to Blake's

politics.

To be serious:

> Marx's critique takes political economy as a textual surface,

> and by means of a thoroughly linguistic analysis, he refigures, in a

> parodic text, a supposedly familiar and uncontentious world as

> strange (requiring explanation) and problematic (requiring political

> action).

"Familiar and uncontentious" to us, but what about Marx's

contemporaries? The "vulgar economics" that he skewered in Capital

had been around less than 50 years, no? And how is Marx's analysis

"thoroughly linguistic"?

Curiously,

--

Curtiss