Depleted Uranium! In Albany!

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Fri Jun 4 14:27:57 PDT 1999

Excellent article in Le Monde Diplomatique on depleted uranium. I didn't know the sstuff was so nasty, but I suppose retrospectively I am surprised. I am also find incomprehensible the lethality of modern weapons. Deplete uranium bullets can not only cut right through tanks--including US tanks--they can cut through a concrete block placed NINE FEET UNDERGROUND.

Even more surprising, is the ol' bringing the war back home in one paragraph. Turns out depleted uranium bullets were made in Colonie (adjacent to Albany) back int eh 70s and that the plant was shut down in 1980. Depleted uranium granules or whatever were found by a GE engineer over 25 miles away.

Colonie is a weird place. Attractive to homeowners because of the low taxes,about 50% of the rest of the areas around here. The reason? Abundant commercial properties. But it makes for weirdness. You see a nice block, nice properties, then take a walk and discover, just around the corner, a used tire storage yard. No zoning. So it's kind of like world capitalism, only all compressed, the comfortable areas piled helter skelter on the grundge and exploitation.

And depleted urantium, too!

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298