More on Racism

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 4 21:15:18 PDT 1999

You are technically accurate. Yet the term Charlie has followed the GIs back to America and many Vietnam refugees in this country, in Texas for example, were addessed with hostility as Charlie and they resent it bitterly. The term GI is certainly not racist. It stands for Government Issue, and most American soldiers are proud to be called a GI. Yet during WWII, when the Japanese referred to an American as GI, it carried racist overtones, as much as the term Yankee. Whenever a term for categorizing people falls into use as an expression of hate, it comes racist. Very few terms originate as racist terms. They generally evolve into racist term in some social context. The term: WASP, when employed with hate becomes a racist term, although many people are factually WASPs. Go to Vietnam today and call a stranger Charlie on the street and you will put yourself in jeopardy.

Henry C.K. Liu

Henry