Life in prison for stealing food

Adam Stevens a_ste at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 7 00:42:45 PDT 1999

>>Along with the drug war (which is a smaller factor than it's sometimes
>>made out to be)
>
>Yeah, I was surprised at how low - relatively speaking - the drug share is,
>as outrageous and stupid as the war on drugs is. In 1996, 26% of prisoners
>(292,000 of them) were in for drug offenses, and drug convictions were
>responsible for 29% of the growth in the prison pop from 1990-96. That
>means the drug share is increasing, but not anywhere near as much as you
>might expect.
>
>Doug>

Keep in mind that in 1971 there were fewer than 200,000 inmates in US state and federal prisons for ALL crimes combined. So if there are "only" 292,000 people incarcerated for drug offenses, that's still nearly 100,000 more than were locked up for all offenses before the incarceration boom started. There are now about 1.2 million in state and federal prisons, and the total is about 1.7 million if local jail populations are included.