Marx on Timon of Athens

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 7 07:33:59 PDT 1999

[this bounced because it was posted from an unsub'd address]

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 22:58:18 +1000 Subject: Re: Marx on Timon of Athens From: Rob Schaap <carob at dynamite.com.au> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com CC: marxism-thaxis at buo319b.econ.utah.edu Mime-version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

G'day Chris,

In *C1* Marx refers to Timon's speech, in which money is described as the 'common whore of mankind': "Just as every qualitative difference between commodities is extinguished in money, so money, on its side, like the radical leveller that it is, does away with all distinctions." He then goes on to quote, of all characters, Creon (Sophocles's Antigone) on the evil of filthy lucre - and then gives us a bit of Athenaeus on greed. All to show that we have, under capitalism, lost the common-sense insights of yore.

>>Marx would never have posited a "normal" attitude to money.

What is (importantly) meant then is: *normal for western precapitalist societies* - from 460BC to 1601AD, anyway.

Take a peek at S.S. Prawer's *Karl Marx & World Literature* - as Timon doesn't directly rate a mention in the index, try pp329-331 of the 1976 edition (perhaps, alas, the only edition of a terrific book). Marx also muses about Timon in the Paris Manuscripts somewhere.

Cheers, Rob.