greetings and a trip across the country

Mon Jun 7 09:31:11 PDT 1999

Michael,

Might these zealots be a potential social base for a U.S. form of fascism or is that just chicken littlism ( or should I say chicken "Littletonism") ?

Charles Brown

>>> Michael Yates <mikey+ at pitt.edu> 06/06/99 10:20PM >>>

5. We noticed the ubiquity of religious and right-wing radio talk shows across the country. (I must say that Utah is a strange state, so beautiful but controlled by religious zealots. We were freaked out in a restaurant when a group of Mormons started talking about laying hands on someone. Plus it is very difficult to buy a drink, not a good thing for me! In a small restaurant in Blanding Utah ( a totally appropriate name!), some German tourist were baffled when the waitress told them that only nonalcoholic beer was served.) If I hear one more time that we must pray after one of these school shootings, I will throw up. On the political shows, hatred of Clinton is palpable as is opposition to the war in Yugoslavia, though not for particularly progressive reasons. I am convinced that Clinton's popularity is really pretty shallow, and he probably agreed to allow a political settlement of the war because the polls shoed his popularity is slipping. At the same time these folks are pretty screwed up and ignorant and it would not be a good idea for leftists to ally themselves with them just because they are opposed to some of the things we are.