Crime and Incarceration rates

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Jun 7 09:58:03 PDT 1999

DoJ has two data sets. One is a scientific survey of persons, and the second is based on police reports. The latter would obviously have all kinds of very elementary, serious problems, except perhaps in the case of murder where most crimes end up being reported because there are bodies that have to be disposed of.

The survey of persons would be as good as any survey on the entire range of criminal offenses, which is to say imperfect but useful.

On the whole the data in this area is thin.

mbs