Comparing Mao to Hitler

Tue Jun 8 07:22:54 PDT 1999

Re:

>These specific misrepresentations by Max were expressed
>in his exchange with Brad D. mocking Maoist thought as
>basically dumber than Delongist or Sawickian thought or
>other western economist thought. The comedic exchange
>sought to continue the general bourgeois and western
>stereotype of communist and eastern thought as lacking
>critical capacity and sort of mindless brainwashed
>utterances. The underlying implication is of course
>that bourgeois and western thought is superior in these ways.
>
>Charles Brown

Max--

Is it that Mr. Brown does not know that my praise of "Max Sawicky thought" was Lin Biao's--the fair-haired boy of the Cultural Revolution, Mao's closest comrade-in-arms and designated successor (until that unfortunate accident with those shoulder-launched rockets at the dinner party)--introduction to _Quotations from Chairman Mao_ (with "Max Sawicky" substituted for "Mao Zedong")?

How can anyone who has ever read the preface to _Quotations from Chairman Mao_ deny that Maoist thought is characterized by a lack of critical capacity? How can anyone deny that Maoist thought is characterized by mindless brainwashed utterances?

Or is the idea to deny that there was ever such a person as Lin Biao, closest comrade-in-arms and designated successor to Mao Zedong?

Brad DeLong