Long bond tops 6%

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Jun 8 12:42:28 PDT 1999

30-year apparently topped 6% at some point though when I checked before postigin it was a 5.98 (it constantly varies anyhow, and the day's close is just that, what it is when the market closes).

This is significant. Long rates are almost back to where they were before the Asian crisis. Signs of an economic slowdown will probably occur in the next 6 mos. If you were thinking that "mortage rates are good and I should get a house"--well, mortages are better than they were in the 80s and by those standards are good. But you've missed a trough in interest rates. -gn.

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298