West v. East

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Tue Jun 8 16:46:44 PDT 1999

Henry,

Where did this come from?

>The title of this post: West vs East, is telling. Communism came from the
>West.

Capitalism came from the West also. What's your point?

The title was not intended as a slur against China, or Asia, or anyone for that matter. I used it in the same manner that people talk about the North/South conflict (meaning european colonialism and exploitation of Africa + South America and the Third World generally).

>There is a certain self aggrandizement by some of this list who admit on the
>one hand that they know little if anything about China, then in the next
breath
>pontification about its evil.

So, are you saying that I'm not entitled to an opinion? That I have to keep my mouth shut because I haven't spent a few years living in China? Or because I'm not Chinese myself? I know enough about China to dislike the political system.

>China was there before they arrived and will be there long after they are
>gone. And if they continue to defame China in English, their messages
will not
>be heard by 99% of the people in China.
>We don't need your approval.

Does my critique become compelling if I use Chinese characters? I don't understand this Us vs. Them mentality, or where it comes from. I was simply stating my opinion on a topic I'd been following over the last couple of days.

Brett