Chinese Prisoners of Conscience

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jun 8 21:59:35 PDT 1999

AI's Prisoner of the Month

http://www.amnesty-usa.org/asa/china/

CHEN Yanbin

CHEN YANBIN

CASE SUMMARY

CHEN YANBIN, now aged 31, was apprehended on

September 13, 1990 and charged with "conducting

counter-revolutionary propaganda and incitement" and

"organizing and leading a counter-revolutionary group". In

March 1991 he was found guilty on these charges and

sentenced to 15 years in prison and four years' deprivation of

political rights by the Beijing Intermediate People's Court.

According to the official court verdict, CHEN YANBIN wrote

and distributed an underground pro-democracy pamphlet

entitled Tielu ("Iron Current") which denounced the June 4,

1989 massacre and "slandered the leadership of the Chinese

Communist Party as an ' authoritarian tyranny'". CHEN

YANBIN was also accused of organizing and leading a

pro-democracy organization, the Chinese Revolutionary

Democratic Front.

At the time of his arrest CHEN YANBIN was a student at the

Beijing Number Two Institute of Foreign Languages. Chen is

now held with other prisoners involved in the 1989 protests in

Beijing Prison No. 2. In late 1993 CHEN YANBIN

reportedly supported a protest by a fellow prisoner who

declared that the working hours in the prison were excessive

and as a result, CHEN YANBIN was locked up in solitary

confinement.

CHEN YANBIN is due for release in September 2005.

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL considers Chen Yanbin a

PRISONER OF CONSCIENCE

and calls on the Chinese Government for his

IMMEDIATE AND

UNCONDITIONAL

RELEASE!

Sample Letter

MINISTER OF JUSTICE OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA

GAO Chengli Buzhang

Sifabu, Xiaguangli

Beijingshi 100016

People's Republic of China

Your Excellency:

I am writing to express my concern regarding the case of CHEN YANBIN who was convicted of counter-revolutionary crimes by the Beijing Intermediate People's Court in March 1991 and sentenced to 15 years imprisonment. Mr. Chen is believed to be serving his sentence in Beijing Prison No. 2.

It is my understanding that Mr. Chen's "crimes" involved writing a pro-democracy pamphlet and leading a pro-democracy organization - both non-violent expressions of his right to freedom of expression and assembly. In light of the fact that "counter-revolutionary" crimes no longer exist under Chinese law, I respectfully urge a thorough review of Mr. Chen's case as soon as possible and further ask that he be released immediately and unconditionally. In addition, I would appreciate any information you can provide regarding Chen Yanbin's current state of health, particularly as it has been reported that he was held in solitary confinement for a period of time in 1993.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

cc: Ambassador Li Zhaoxing

Embassy of the People's Republic of China

2300 Connecticut Ave., NW

Washington, D.C. 20008