Liu's China

Wed Jun 9 09:25:50 PDT 1999

Why do you say that ? I'm trying to think of something in Lenin's writings that says or suggests this. Lenin seems to think of himself as a strict follower of Engels and Marx on fundamental issues such as the one you articulate. So , do Stalin and Mao, from what I know.

Also, generally in a dialectical approach ( all you name were dialecticians) , cause and effect "reciprocate". So, there are probably causal connections in both directions. The proletariat initiates "the" rev. , but then the proletariat becomes less a class-in-itself and more a class-for-itself by the act of carrying out a stage of revolution. (The revolution is a long term process and does not end with the insurrection. The Russian Revolution is not "in" 1917. It begins in 1917. )

Charles Brown

>>> Barbara Laurence <cns at cats.ucsc.edu> 06/09/99 12:03PM >>>
Isn't it true that in Marx and Engels, the proletariat makes the revolution, while in Lenin, Stalin, and Mao, the revolution makes the proletariat? Jim O'Connor