homogeneity - was Re: Comparing...

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 9 10:48:45 PDT 1999

There is a social distinction between prejudice and discrimination. Prejudice is an attitude, discrimination is a categorical act. Everyone is entitled to his/her prejudice. It is a peronal morality problem. But discrimination is overt oppression. When the Japanese think Americans smell bad, it is the Japanese' problem. But if they pass laws in Japn to make bad-smelling Americans ride in the back of buses, even though there migh be a "common sense" rationalization because Americans smell bad, that is oppression and must be resisted. The Japanese, like all other people, have problems of in-group prejudice. Chinese have it, Jews have it, Afro-Americans have it. But discrimination is universally intolerable.

Henry C.K. Liu