How now NATO?

Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org Elias.Karagiannis at spg.org
Wed Jun 9 20:11:45 PDT 1999

Carl wrote:

>Well, that word "seems" is fraught with peril, but I don't think it's
>premature to begin discussing what steps to take to ensure that NATO can
>never take action like this again. Any ideas?

Very good question. However, I am not sure that NATO has really won, it won only in the military sense. The instability in the Balkans has just begun, the ecological catastrophe of the win unthinkable. Changing borders in the Balkans, for this is what the win is all about, is just the beginning of things to come. Where it will end is anybody's guess. I have serious doubts that Macedonia will survive in its current borders, and Bulgaria with its Turkish minority will soon face some sort of autonomy demands. Shall NATO intervene in all the Balkan states? Will the Balkan states become a NATO colony? As soon as the first soldiers start having health problems because of the depleted uranium bombs dropped all over Yugoslavia, NATO will withdraw. And then what? The "beauty" of depleted uranium is that it does not discriminate among NATO forces, Serbs, Albanians and the rest of the Balkan people. They are all affected equally.

elias