korea/japan

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Thu Jun 10 09:11:55 PDT 1999

important point, rakesh. was the reserve maintained outside territorial boundaries? to some extent, most OECD countries maintained a reserve outside in this way, as well as maintaining it in a muted way through 'guest work', undocumented workers, etc. who are inside, but don't have citizenship rights. japan also does this now, doesn't it?

if I recall, something like 100,000 koreans were repatriated to north korea in 1959, but I don't have much info other than this. when/what was the 'lewis turning point'?

Angela --- rcollins at netlink.com.au