Will NATO bomb in future?

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Jun 11 06:24:05 PDT 1999

> "On paper, Nato's triumph in the Balkans appears complete."
>
> <large snip to conclusion>
>
> "Yet the biggest mistake the alliance can make is to assume that
> Milosevic's deafeat signifies a triumph for the strategy of
> air strikes,
> and that this policy can now be deployed against any other
> dictator. ...
> Milosevic caved in not because the air strikes were working,
> but because he
> realised that this bombardment ...
>[could be] continued indefinitely at a negligible human cost to the
west. ... The technique of just spraying people
> with bombs from
> the air has, therefore, not been vindicated."

I don't understand the logic of this argument. The bombing was, IMO, a moral horror, but it has been vindicated in spades in a purely instrumental sense. The lesson to the West is that you can slaughter civilians and destroy social infrastructure with impunity through modern air attack and eventually force the enemy to do your bidding.

Carl Remick