US SECRET POLICE EPISODES

Chris Beggy chrisb at eden.com
Fri Jun 11 10:19:01 PDT 1999

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> At 10:48 AM 6/11/99 -0400, Charles Brown wrote:
> >More specifically, this thread is on secret police in the U.S. and the
> idea is that it was elite U.S.secret police operations that assassinated
> the Kennedys It was a coup d'etat by one part of the ruling class against
> -- snip

-- snip
> The popular demand for these stories has similar origins as demand for
> religion, personal god and similar crap - anthropomorphization of natural
> or social forces, which provides an illusion of an explanation to minds
> untrained in critical thought.

Daniel Pipes keeps to a pretty narrow definition of conspiracism: a phenomenon of unreasonable fear of secret groups, governments, and Jews, which arose in the West around the time of the French Revolution and continues to this day.

Religion, notions of a personal god, etc. seem to me to include ritual and ethics, as well faith. Conspiracism seems to have just faith, and a dark, pessimistic one at that.

Chris