Liza and kelley on katie roiphe

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Sun Jun 13 23:49:11 PDT 1999

> Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:41:56 +0100
> From: Jim heartfield <jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: Liza and kelley on katie roiphe

<...>
> Places, read it and weep), Catharine Mackinnon (Only Words - I saw Liza
> Jardine in the papers today boasting of the way that feminism had raised
> the issue of rape crimes in Bosnia, one of the more grotesque pieces of
> war propaganda stirred up by Mackinnon), at the University of North

<...>

would you mind clarifying this statement?

> London's Child and Women Abuse Study Group the argument of the continuum
> of male violence (you know the continuum, from paying compliments
> through rape to snuff films) with Liz Kelly and Jill Radford (see their

<...>

if it's not a 'continuum,' what is it? male violence against women is diachronic: these ideologies and practices are perpetuate in time. and it's synchronic: numerous institutions, procedures, ide- ologies, and practices substantiate each other in the here and now. you can get persnickety about the relationship that compliments play in these structures (though you might also want to consider their opposite: insults), and you can haul out this or that fact about whether there really are any snuff films or enough to base a sensible argument on. but engaging in trivia like that, or chal- lenging the term 'continuum,' is hardly a refutationi.

cheers, t