Liza and kelley on katie roiphe

kelley d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 14 04:10:48 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

> That's what makes Roiphe's
>contribution original. She is analysing the repressive ideology of the
>present, not the one that was in place twenty five years ago.

jim, i forgot to note in my previous post that a more productive analysis of the campus rape crisis might well take a cue from ehrenreich. that is, why are blue lights, etc so readily installed on these campuses? what's going on there? might it be that elite institutions like harvard and princeton use these safeguards in their promotional literature? "parents, you can be rest assured that you're daughter is safe with us for the next four years. blue lights, workshops, safety training..." that'll be 30grand/year, thank you very much. chaching chaching.

the point: people in positions of power have an interest in focusing on these issues because then they don't actually have to take seriously all the other anlayses feminists have set forth, analyses that turn a much brighter beam on capitalism. i'm certain it's much cheaper to install blue lights and set up workshops than it is to actually pay women equitably or make sure that women actually get decent positions among the professoriate, to provide decent health care and other benefits to *all* women on campus.