Because you're one of THEM, of course...

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:03:33 PDT 1999

At 08:07 PM 6/13/99 -0700, Brad DeLong wrote:
>>...The paramilitary right has made in no secret that they
>>would like to see Billy leave the White House feet first, for the usual
>>reasons; refusal to invade Cuba, soft on China, submitting to the
>>authority of the U.N.,fornicating etc. That much is said on talk radio
>>every day. The far right hates Clinton with a vehemenance not seen since
>>Kennedy. They say the Clintons represent the 60's when everything went
>>wrong in America (not that I'm defending the Clinton's but they or
>>anyone else does not deserve death.) In the 60's things began to open
>>just a little. The mainstream press began to make hints at criticising
>>the status quo. Academic freedom actually began to be utilized and came
>>to mean something. All just a little too much for the conservatives to
>>handle.
>>
>> Why I am I defending conspiracy theory?...
>>Sam Pawlett
>
>Because you're one of THEM, of course...
>
>Brad DeLong

I have an alternative explanation, which for the lack of better terminology i call the "goat factor." The term comes from the following anecdote. As Poland experienced acute housing shortage, a man comes to a rabbi and bitterly complains about his small apartment that he has to share with his wife, children, and in-laws. The rabbi says "I can help you, but under one condition - you will do exactly as I say, nothing less nothing more." The man agreed, so the rabbi gave his first advice "Go to the market, buy a goat, and bring it to your apartment. Then come back in 10 days to see me ."

The man did exactly as the rabbi said, and came back after 10 days. Upon seeing him, the rabbi asked "So how is your housing situation now?" Ah, rabbi" replied the man bitterly "it was not a very wise advice you gave me.

I was quite bad beafore, but after I brought that goat it is simply unbearable. I regret that I even listened to you." "Ok" said the rabbi, 'so now I want you to take that goat form your apartment to the market and sell it. And come back in 10 days to see me again."

The man again did as directed and showed up at the rabbi's after 10 days. "So how is your apartment?" asks the rabbi. The man smiles and replies "Ah rabbi, it is not an apartment, it is a mansion."

When applied to politics, the "goat factor" works like this. First, the elite install an imperialist hawk or a fairly conservative schmuck in the white house who pursues pro-business conservative agenda. Then the rabid right (jesse helms and co) play the role of the goat - they enter the scene with obscenely reactionary claims, the black helicopters, extreme isolationism, reviving discredited 19th century myths, denying scientific facts - the more obscene the better. Consequently, the conservative politics of the schmuck in the white house appear "liberal" by comparison - and that in turn helps to lull naive liberals and progressives into thinking that Johnny K. or Billy C. are valiant defenders of progressive policies, and support their conservative agenda.

wojtek