Japan: Up or Down?

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Tue Jun 15 10:06:19 PDT 1999

Most Japanese stocks are held by Keiretsu members & the big brokerage houses, to the tune of 60-70% as I recall. But "at the margin" the 30% is enough to affect prices, as the calamitous declines of recent years have shown. As to what Joe Average owns in Japan, I doubt much of it is in equities. -gn.

JayHecht at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/15/99 11:34:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
> GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu writes:
>
> << What would be better is a guarnateed social welfare
> system (esp retirement) which allowed people to spend down their personal
> savings
> in confidence that they would be maintained in old age. Japan has even
> less of
> a welfare system than the US >>
>
> That's what I thought. Also, Greg, while wer debunking myths: is it
> true/not true that individual Japanese investors have less than 15% of their
> assets in equities (I've heard figures as low as 7%)?
>
> Jason

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298