kelley on katie roiphe

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Wed Jun 16 12:01:09 PDT 1999

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Brett Knowlton wrote:

> Guilty as charged.
>
> >in any event, can we pin marxism down?
>
> Good point. But we can pin down marxism, al least to a certain extent.
> For example, all marxists believe capitalism exploits the labor of the
> proletariat. All marxists want to abolish the institution of private
> property. Granted this still allows for big differences, but at least the
> label has some specific meaning and can serve as a starting point for
> discussing the various branches which have developed.

Hmm, I just learned from a guy I've known from an e-list for several years that he considers himself a marxist. I learned this because a right winger refered to him as and I thought he was just hurling it as an epithet and I challenged the guy saying: "Well gee, he sure doesn't sound like a marxist." The person in question came back and confirmed that he is indeed a marxist. He embraces all of Marx "except for the materialism". Uh, OK. I've asked about that one and haven't heard back yet -- I'll let you know. (I'm convinced it must be done with mirrors.)

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.

-Emma Goldman