"Why Willy Loman lives"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jun 18 08:06:23 PDT 1999

Carl Remick quoted The Economist:

>John Schmitt at the
>Economic Policy Institute points out that if you exclude women (whose
>careers have become slightly more secure), many of the standard
>insecurity measures are still worsening.

Not to nitpick or anything, but why should you exclude women? This is a very odd way of saying that women have been doing better in the labor market and men have been doing worse, which, in job security/tenure measures averages out to a rather flattish picture. I guess men are still the norm in this writer's eyes. Did Schmitt put it this way, or is it The Economist's spin?

Doug