Unemployment 4.2%

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Sun Jun 20 10:21:30 PDT 1999

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:

> Right now the percent of the working age population in
> the US that is employed is quite high in historical terms.
> A big increase in women's employment (and labor force
> participation) has swamped a smaller decline in men's
> employment and labor force participation (the latter concentrated
> in highly paid industrial employment) over the last several
> decades. Of course a lot of these new jobs have been low
> paying and the distribution of wages and incomes has become
> much more unequal in the US. Also a lot of these jobs involve
> longer working hours.
> Barkley Rosser

And how does the above plays in relation to productivity growth? It seems that women work, low paying jobs and longer working hours have incresed productivity, right? I read an article on a local magazine where it is said that US productivity has been increasing at 2% a year over the last decade. Is this number right?

Juan