Unemployment 4.2%

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Fri Jun 18 11:51:11 PDT 1999

Well, another problem in comparing Europe and the US is the very high rate of people in prison in the US especially minority males. They do not get counted as part of the labor force and this is a serious distortion in making international comparisons. As a percent of the working age population, employment is not all that much higher in the US than in Western Europe, if at all. The big difference is that a lot of the US unemployed are in jail, goody goody, while the Europeans are on various kinds of social safety nets that mainstream US economists waste a lot of paper complaining about, naughty naughty.

Another important issue internationally is again that of labor force participation. Here the gender issue is very important. Thus when one hears that the unemployment rate is higher in Sweden one must also keep in mind that labor force participation by women is much higher. OTOH it is lower in Germany and Switzerland and some other countries. Japan is the farthest off in that regard, which is the main reason why the unemployment rate in Japan which is about the same as that in the US is much more socially painful (along with other social issues). Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Friday, June 18, 1999 1:19 PM Subject: RE: Unemployment 4.2%