E.V.Debs and the Hulman Baking Co.

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Sat Jun 19 10:27:03 PDT 1999

This past week I was doing some business traveling and I stopped in Terra Haute, Indiana to have lunch. I was making pretty good time. So, I decided to stop and see the Debs homeplace museum. Like most things to do with the left it was closed. But, I did get to check out the exterior and the nice little memorial garden behind the house. In the memorial garden there are plaques dedicated to Deb's contemporaries like our own Philip Murray, Mother Jones of the Mineworkers and others like Walter Ruther.

One thing that I couldn't help but notice was the presence of the Hulman Baking Company in Deb's old neighborhood. I would date most of the buildings of the Hulman Baking Co. as being from Deb's era. It seems that I recall reading that the Hulman's were great supporters of Debs. Anyone know anything of this relationship between Debs and the Hulmans?

Btw, do us a little favor and send your senator a little email telling him or her to stand up for steel and American manufacturing jobs this week and vote for S.395 the stand up for steel and manufacturing jobs bill! The job you save maybe your own. If you want to be a real pal you can print your note out and mail it to your senator.

Your email pal,

Tom L.