Y/E

Sun Jun 20 14:07:08 PDT 1999

>Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>>And all of those countries are more egalitarian than the US. So average
>>people in those countries are better off than we are in money terms -- in
>>the case of Germany, *way* better off. How come this never stops us from
>>pitying them and lecturing them on how to be like us?
>
>Because the pundits and economists who do the lecturing are the slavish
>lackeys of big capital, and because the U.S. is big capital's paradise, of
>course!
>
>Doug

Their unemployment rate *is* disturbingly high... and I at least am worried about the long-term consequences--fearing that high unemployment will lead to too many people whose idea of a good time is to throw Molotov cocktails through the windows of apartment buildings in which guestworkers live...

But as Ralf Dahrendorf once said, surely it is better to be unemployed in Europe than poor in America.

Brad DeLong