Making the rich richer

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 21 10:50:49 PDT 1999

The current estate tax is toothless. There are all kinds of ways to avoid it, such as setting up a simple trust. Since the estate tax does not stop the rich from getting richer, repealing it will not make the rich richer, except it saves them minor legal and accountant fees. Inheritance rights are part and parcel of property rights. They are the foundation of capitalism and they should be attacked frontally, not nibbled at around meaningless taxes. The problem of attacking only the rich under a system of proerty rights is that it is self defeating.

Here is a popular joke on populism during the Chinese revolution: In an public rally for revolutionart awareness, the visiting party organizer shouted: "When a person owns two houses, he should keep one and give the other away!" Enthusiastic cheers for 10 minutes. "When a person has two ox carts, he should give one away!" Cheers for 10 minutes. "When a person has two chickens, he should give one away!" Dead silence. The organizer turned and asked the local cadre what happen. "They all have two chickens."

Being rich is relative.

Henry C.K. Liu