Y/E

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Jun 21 12:57:16 PDT 1999

It's hard to look at numbers like this and figure what gives. Spend a week in Montreal and then a week in Boston. I would say the quality of life in Montreal is not 2/3 that of Boston, as implied by these figures. And certain things, like access to medical care, and some civilized gun control, manifestly make life better in Canada. Maybe it has to do with getting more for less. Let's say that owning an SUV nets out (insurance, capital cost, gasoline, shorter overall vehicle life) at $500 more per month than a Toyota Corolla. Nominally the SUV owning society is $6k richer to afford such a burden. But quality of life would not necessarily be better, and in fact might be worse. -gn.

Doug Henwood wrote:

> jmage at panix.com wrote:
>
> >What happens if you do GDP per employed person? Is Italy at the top of the
> >list?
>
> Using the BLS figures for employment and the World Bank figures for dollar
> GDP, we get this for GDP per employed person in 1997:
>
> Germany $77,150
> Japan 64,564
> France 63,238
> U.S. 60,467
> Sweden 57,297
> Italy 57,135
> Netherlands 50,530
> UK 48,111
> Australia 46,686
> Canada 43,594
>
> Doug

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298